RALEIGH – Athletes representing Lake Norman fared well at the 2014 Special Olympics North Carolina Summer Games held June 1 in Raleigh and Cary.
To ensure fair competition, athletes were placed in competitive divisions based on age and ability level. Gold, silver and bronze medals were awarded to the top three finishers in each division, followed by fourth through eighth place ribbons. Athletes representing Lake Norman were as follows:
• Joseph Furin won bronze in the 100-yard freestyle, fourth place in the 50-yard freestyle and fifth place in the 50-yard backstroke.
• John Chris McCall won gold in the 25-yard freestyle, silver in the 50-yard freestyle and bronze in the 25-yard backstroke.
• Ted Patterson won gold in the 200-yard freestyle, silver in the 100-yard backstroke and fifth place in the 100-yard freestyle.
• Justin Teague won gold in the 50-yard freestyle and bronze in the 25-yard freestyle.
• The Lake Norman Hammerheads, consisting of Furin, McCall, Patterson and Teague, won bronze in the 4 x 25-yard freestyle relay.